The Best Sun Hats For Backpacking
The best sun hats
for backpacking will have some very particular features; it pays to pick your
sun hat carefully and abide by the key
features outlined below; the last thing you want is a sun hat that doesn’t
pack well, loses shape, and doesn’t protect you properly from the sun!
a list of key features to look out for when choosing the best sun hat for your
trip, and, if you need help deciding what hat to go for then I have provided a recommendation
at the end of this article.
The best sun protective hats will all have the following key features:
Getting maximum sun protection should be the number one priority when selecting your sun hat. There are a number of features to look out for to ensure that you will
get optimum protection:
- Ensure that you select a sun hat that is
constructed from material that provides sun
protection of UPF 50+.
- Select a model that has a brim wide enough to protect your face from the sun and a neck veil that
protects the back of your neck from
burning (this is a particularly sensitive area that is often forgotten
about and is therefore prone to burning!)
- Opt for a hat that is packable. You will need a hat that is
compactable and does not lose its shape. Large, unfordable hats are definitely not
practical – not only will they take up a lot
of room in your backpack, they will get easily misshapen.
- Ensure that it is of a washable fabric – as you may be wearing your hat for
extended periods of time and in hot climates you will definitely need to wash
your hat during your backpacking journey so ensure that you select a hat that
allows you to do this. Whilst a straw hat may be pretty, it’s not that easy to
wash; practicality is the aim of the game!
- Keep it lightweight. Sun hats designed specifically
for travel will be specially made from ultra-lightweight fabrics – be sure
to select a hat designed for travel; packing light is key!
- Backpacking will often involve encountering a wide variety of weather conditions
which makes packing a real challenge. As a rule of thumb it is best to take
with you the most versatile clothing possible – and this goes for your hat too!
Choosing a sun hat that is constructed from waterproof material will allow you to wear it come rain or shine and you won’t have to worry
about it getting ruined.
- Whilst you will need good protective cover, the best sun hats will also provide
excellent ventilation to avoid overheating.
- Opt for a hat with a chin strap – this will make your hat feel more secure and will also
prevent it from flying away in the breeze!
- Ensure that your sun hat fits you head properly – you will not feel comfortable in a hat
that is forever slipping down!
- Ensure that you choose a sun hat that is
constructed from a quality, durable
fabric. It is worth investing a little more and buying a quality sun hat
from the outset, rather than opting for the cheapest model you can get your
hands on, as chances are that it won’t last and you will have to replace it
during your trip.
Best Sun Hats: Recommendation
The Sunday Afternoons
Adventure Hat is well known on the backpacker trail for being one of the
best sun hats currently available on the market. So what makes this sun hat
such a great choice for backpackers?
- UPF 50+
Sun protection: the highest sun protection rating possible.
- Waterproof fabric
- Specially designed to be as light as possible –
less than 3.0 ounces
- Packable – constructed so that it can pack flat
or be rolled into a cone for travelling without losing its shape – perfect for
- Constructed from fabric which repels water and
dirt and dries 3-5 times faster than regular fabrics making it ideal for
backpacking when encountering various weather conditions.
- Ventilation to help keep you cool whilst
maintaining maximum sun protection.
- Four inch wide brim & neck veil for ultimate
- Wide variety of colours available to suit every
The Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat is on the market for $36.
Whilst the Adventure
Hat is notorious for being one of the best sun hats on the market, it is
also noted that when it comes to the best sun hats for style, well, this one is
not top of the list. But hey, something’s gotta give and I’m sure that any wise
backpacker would choose sun safety over style!
Return from Best Sun Hats to Travel Wardrobe
Return from Best Sun Hats to Backpacking Spirit Homepage